Are you craving for any hot home-cooked soup? I am a big fan of diverse kinds of soup, because they are heart-warming. For Oriental soup, my mind is having fun remembering delicious lotus root soup, apple pear soup, meesua soup, chicken soup, fish maw soup, Tom Yum soup, kimchi soup, and the list goes on. For Western soup, my favourite ones include pumpkin soup (especially those as a starter in the Michaelmas formal halls), creamy mushroom soup, tomato soup (like the one I had in Cafe Carringtons on 20081025), clam chowder soup, etc.
Herein, I share how to cook ABC soup (also known as 罗宋汤) using rice cooker. The beauty of ABC soup is that it encompasses many nutrients in 1 single soup. Normally, I would recommend cooking oriental soups in slow cooker, but it can be heavy to manage, hence I start considering light rice cooker as a cooking utensil.
Materials and methods:
- blanched meat (1-2 chicken drumsticks/ parts of beef shanks/2-3pork ribs)
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut to chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut to chunks
- 1 large yellow onions/ 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tomato, wedged
- 1 sweet corn, cut into large chunks
- 1-2 slices ginger (optional, if you like spicy flavour)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp ground pepper
- throw all ingredients into boiling water that sufficiently covering all ingredients
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp anchovies/ikan bilis (optional), it’s a good substitute for meat
- dried scallops (optional) give sweetness taste
- Serve with chopped cilantro/coriander
- Blanch meat for at least 5 minutes, rinse with cold water (to stop the cooking process), set aside.
- Bones make the soup tastier.
- Once the soup is boiled, open the lid of rice cooker to prevent overflowing and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Consider also using pre-cooked meat because the cooking time for the rice cooker may not be long enough to fully cook meat. If cooking using a slow cooker, put on high temperature for the first hour.
20160130 I have not been feeling well for the past few days. Yes, I suffered from indigestion and morning sickness. It should be called whole-day sickness, because the term morning is pretty misleading. Please pray for me. Today, I cooked the ABC soup using 0.7L (mini) PowerPac slow cooker for 180 minutes. Since the potatoes, meat, etc have become relatively bland, I dip them in a sauce of light soy sauce and sesame (made in 2:1 ratio) and tasted delicious.