Have you ever craved for a bowl of hot congee as a comfort food when you are not feeling very well? I like congee served with spring onions and doughstick/YuTiao (especially HaiNan YuTiao) in DimSum restaurants for a breakfast or a supper of chicken congee (bubur ayam) of Selat Panjang.
- Wash 1.5 cup of rice (short grain rice e.g. calrose rice, but not basmati rice) using a a colander to serve congee for 2 people.
- Add water
- Add a slice of ginger, a pinch of ground pepper and salt.
- Add meat pieces e.g. fish, chicken, etc or century egg. (optional)
- If you use a ceramic slow cooker (but not metal pot), you can add some Chinese herbs e.g. jujube 红枣 (red date), Codonopsis root 党参 (dang shen).
- Cook overnight (8 hrs) using Low heat.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and/or chopped scallions (optional)
- Serve with roasted nuts (optional)
- use Low heat to cook because it is less likely to stick to the sides of the pot. Remember to stir if you use High heat.
- To cook congee using a rice cooker, I add water 2x the amount of water I added to cook rice.
Fun to know: