I remember a girlfriend hailed from Beijing, living in Cambridge, UK once cooked a dish of tomato egg (西红柿炒鸡蛋 or 蕃茄炒蛋) for our lunch together, very delicious! Since I have a lot of tomatoes in our fridge, I plan to cook a tomato egg dish.
- 1.5-2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine (花雕酒) optional
- 1 tsp corn starch (to make the eggs chewier and fluffier), optional
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 big tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar ~ note: you may need to adjust the amount of sugar depending on the quality of tomatoes
- chopped green onion/coriander to garnish
- Serve with steamed rice
- Beat egss with 1tsp sesame oil, 0.25 tsp of salt/light soy sauce, 0.25tsp oyster sauce, white ground pepper, 1tsp Shaoxing wine
- Heat 1 tbsp oil
- Add beaten eggs, and cook until the bottom side is done, but the top is still raw. Chop with spatula into pieces and sitr until the eggs are cooked. Transfer the eggs to a plate.
- Add 0.5 tbsp oil and garlic and stir the garlic until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes until the texture becomes soft.
- When tomatoes start getting soft, use the flat part of the spatula to “crush” the tomatoes and get a tomato puree.
- Add egg back.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Quickly mix everything.
20160203 researching on this simple recipe while having a #happySkype with our Little Prince